Located in the western-most section in the Town of Norwich, the Yantic Fire Engine Co. was established in 1847 to protect the now vacant Yantic Woolen Mill and surrounding Yantic village. With time our service area grew to include the areas and villages of Bean Hill, Plain Hill, and the original settlement of the town - Norwichtown. In modern times we provide mutual aid and F.A.S.T. coverage to the other Norwich departments as well as departments in the towns of Franklin, Bozrah, Baltic, and beyond. Besides fire, our services include first-response care to medical calls for service; as well as technical rescue for motor vehicle accidents, confined space & high angle situations, and a coordinated response with other Norwich departments for water search & rescue. We operate at the Hazardous Materials - Operational level, utilizing mutual aid for any higher level Hazardous Materials incidents.
Within our service area we have the river from which our village is named, 2 major limited access highways, an active railway, numerous commercial and industrial properties including a large copper smelting & processing plant, 2 hotels, a Major League Baseball (Class A) stadium, and one of the largest hospitals in Eastern Connecticut which houses an aeromedical unit. We cover these locales with 3 engines, a heavy rescue unit, a medium-duty service unit, a boat, and the dedicated service of over 50 men and women; all of whom serve the community as volunteers.
Our firehouse is one of the oldest in the state, as well as in the country. Since our inception in 1847 we have remained in the same location, and after a fire in 1907 the firehouse was rebuilt to what it is now - with some changes over the years of course! We own not only the firehouse itself, but a 10 acre field which overlooks the river. We rent both the field and our hall above the engine bay to the public for numerous functions, most notably the annual Norwich Duck Races, and Bid's Tavern's annual reunion. These are also the scenes for our in-house steak dinners, and the annual Steak & Lobster dinner. Contact the webmaster for ticket information.
The website is under constant development and updates are (hopefully) frequent, so check back often! Thank you so much for stopping by!
And above all, stay safe.
Our Fire Department The Yantic Fire Engine Company #1 comes from a long tradition of “Serving the People”. We have been a fire Company since 1847. At that time, it was completely made up of volunteer firefighters. These individuals were area business men & workers in the community, who wanted to protect their property and save lives...
|The 2016-2017 Officers|
|Chief - Car 3||Frank Blanchard|
|Deputy Chief - Car 30||Bernard "B.J." Herz|
|Assistant Chief - Car 38||Paul O'Connell|
|Fire Captain - Car 39||Robert Allen|
|Rescue Captain - Car 139||Christopher Colonair|
|Fire Lieutenant - Car 239||Adam Herz|
|Rescue Lieutenant - Car 339||Raymond Henry|
|Chief Engineer||William Hayes|
|Asst. Chief Engineer||Jon Cuprak|
|Personnel Committee Chairman||Ronald Stolz|
|© Yantic Fire Dept. .||
|Fire Chief - email@example.com||Questions/Comments? - Webmaster|